Monday, July 31, 2006

34

My doctor came to talk to me this morning. We discussed my condition, and he said with my atypical symptoms (to any known condition) and because my motor neurons are affected, that it could be many years before I get back to normal, if I do. That's different from the "about one year" I've been hearing before. Perhaps they were expecting better results on the nerve conduction test last week. It also reminds me that my neurologist used the word "chronic" in the place of "acute" for the first time when we were discussing the test results last week. I had selectively forgotten about that. I'm good at pushing things I don't want to think about out of my mind.

I went over to VGH this morning for a follow up IVIG treatment. I'm supposed to get these every four weeks as a preventive measure. I don't really understand the need for it, but then the doctors don't really understand why IVIG works either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn! That sucks man.
However, you could still be the case that proves them wrong. (Positive thoughts!)

Chronic really just means long-term. Not really much more to it than that. You can have chronic diseases for periods of 6 months, and other ones that will be with you for years. Let hope that it's the former rather than the latter.

Anonymous said...

Positive thinking and attitude is SO important and powerful and will make the difference to you, Dan. Believe with every fibre of your being that you'll recover soon, and work your ass off to make it happen...and it will. IT WILL!