Thursday, July 06, 2006

24

All of the TPS Reports have been completed and I'll be on my way to GF Strong as soon as a bed opens up there. The schedule at GF Strong will be an hour each of physio in the morning, afternoon, and late afternoon/evening. Any treatments I might require will be done at VGH, since it's closer. The dialysis centre is right across the hallway from Amy's lab, so I can drop in on her if any further plex treatments are necessary.

GF Strong is located at 4255 Laurel St, just off Oak St and W 26th Ave. The #17 Oak will take you there from downtown. The easiest way to catch it is to get off the Skytrain at Granville St and walk one block down to Pender St, where you can get on between Seymour St and Richards St.

It looks like they have stricter rules about leaving the facility than St. Paul's, where I've been able to come and go as I please, as long as someone is there to help me and I have no tests or treatments scheduled. Return times for evening outings must be before 9:30pm Sun-Thu and 11:15pm Fri/Sat, although it says that special cases may be made. That's all I need to know. :) There is no word if I can get Internet access there.

I've been doing some work with the physiotherapists almost every day. Yesterday and today, we went to the physio gym for about half an hour and did some exercises. I was able to use the exercise bike, and even though it was at its easiest setting, they were surprised that I was able to do it. My biggest strength gain has been in my arms being able to sit down. As long as there are bars on both sides of the seat, my arms are strong enough to hold my weight while I sit down. That's something I couldn't do a few weeks ago.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Dan!
Glad you're going to be closer - though it means I'm going to be doing a lot more walking... something I haven't been motivated to do lately. Walking and getting lots of exercise will be good for me - but you'll have to tell me what days I'm allowed / not allowed to visit.

The strength gains are good - gravity and your own body weight will provide a good resistance for now, and will help you both gain weight and buld muscle.

I knew you were doing better on Tuesday when you were getting down into the wheel chair on your own. Glad to hear that it's down to the waiting game.

Jen @ Light Enough to Travel said...

Hey Dan, This is really great news!

I'm happy you're progressing well, and I know that you'll look back on this time and think:

it was this time of (physical) weakness that helped carve you into the now-stronger person you are.

Sarah nailed it, that you've been so strong all along. Really admirable positive attitude, and control... even if it didn't seem like that sometimes. We're all pulling for you.

See you in September!!

Anonymous said...

Great to hear that you're doing better now. Hope you have a quick recovery.

I'm looking forward to that party when you get to go home ;)

Jen @ Light Enough to Travel said...

PS - Just wanted you to know that I caught the TPS Report joke... ;) VERY subtle... hehehe

Anonymous said...

Yahoooooooo! That is such good news. You are on your way to recovery and we are thrilled. One day at a time still and don't push yourself too hard ok? It's a long recovery road and we're all there beside you. By October, you'll be ready to party with us. Looking foreward to it! You save the bride a dance ya hear?

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the next stage of your recovery! I'm so relieved that you could get to this point. You'll like this part because this is the where you do most of the work instead of sitting around and waiting for people to do tests on you and poke needles and things into you. It's been pretty clear from the beginning that you want an active role in bringing about your recovery and rehab is where you finally get the chance. I know you are going to do really well with it because you've obviously got the will and the attitude.