Thursday, April 27, 2006

5

I just got home from seeing the neurologist this morning for EMG testing. Having electricity pulsed through my nerves and then long needles stuck into my muscles is not a pleasant experience. She doesn't have a diagnosis but said it's not due to lack of exercise or an injury and at this point is likely a problem with the muscles or the connection between the muscles and the nerves. She ordered a genetic blood test for spinal muscular atrophy but told me not to read too much into it yet. The blood sample goes to the BC Children's Hospital for analysis and takes two weeks to get the results back. They may also do a muscle biopsy to analyze a sample of my muscles. I won't know anything for a while, until they call me.

I talked to my mom and told her what happened but left out what the blood test is for.. I don't want to worry her too much. She is certain that there are no muscle problems in her family history.

No comments: