The diagnosis is acute motor axonal neuropathy (AMAN). It's curable but will take a very long time. At least months. It is part of the Guillain Barre Syndrome family and is an autoimmune condition.
It is most common in China in children but has been known to happen in North America.
The autoimmune attack is on the motor neurons, so the treatment is a plasma exchange. Blood is circulated out of my body, the plasma is removed and replaced with albumin, then goes back into me. Doing that removes the antibodies that are attacking my nerves. Unfortunately, nerves don't just regrow immediately and so a recovery will take a very long time.
I'm hesitant to say this is good news until the treatment starts showing results.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This is great news that they may have a solid diagnosis! Keping fingers crossed that the treatment will start working soon.
Sending good thoughts.
C.
Hey Dan,
This seems positive. If it's something they can treat, then that's certainly a good thing! I've wanted to visit for a while now, but I'm not sure how to get ahold of you. I guess calling the hospital? You can call my cell if you don't want to post that info here. Let me know what you're craving and I'll bring in some illicit goodies.
Terin.
Post a Comment