Wednesday, May 17, 2006

11

I saw my doctor this morning. He reviewed the blood test results from last week and everything looks fine. The neurologist who did the EMG testing on me a few weeks back wrote a long report on me and he showed me some of the things she wrote. She believes that I have Spinal Muscular Atrophy Type III. Normally, it's supposed to affect people in their late teens and early twenties and she thinks I've had it for a long time without noticing it. It will be three weeks tomorrow since I gave a blood sample for the genetic test, and still no result. My doctor has dealt with a few cases of ALS (which share some muscle weakness symptoms), but he's only seen this in a textbook before.

I will be seeing a physiotherapist on Friday. Hopefully, there are some exercises I can do that will help.

Also, I finally figured out yesterday how to get to my classroom at VCC from the Pender St entrance without going up any stairs. It takes a long time, but it can be done. I fell down getting off the trolley bus when I went home last night. The bus driver had to help me get back up. I'm looking forward to seeing those new low-floor trolley buses go into service.

Jer is now all moved in. I think he has watched more TV at my place in the last few days than I have in the 6 months I've been living there.

No comments: