Monday, January 23, 2006

Election

All predictions point to a Conservative minority led by Stephen Harper. I want to see a Conservative government, but not one led by Harper.

I don't like the GST cut. I would rather see an income tax reduction instead so I don't have to spend money to save it. Reducing consumption taxes just encourages people to go more into debt than to save their money.

I don't like the Alliance leftovers in the party. I come from the PC side of the Conservative Party, and we can do without some of the extreme social conservatives. I am really glad that Randy White is gone from the party. He represented Abbotsford, probably the safest Conservative riding in BC. It didn't matter what he said, he would still get elected, no matter how detrimental his views were to candidates in tough ridings. There, the real election is when the Conservative candidate is selected, not the actual general election. They could run a trained monkey and win that riding.

I would rather see the Conservatives form another opposition, just for Harper to go down and to give the party time to rebuild itself. With the Liberals in the state that they are, there is really no reason that the Conservatives shouldn't be able to form a majority government. The fact that they can't points to a poor leader and some elements of the party who people really don't want.

My riding is going to be represented either by Liberal Hedy Fry, NDP Svend the thief, or some Conservative candidate who I know nothing about. It looks like it will be a close race beween Hedy and Svend. I hope that the Liberal and Conservative vote don't get split so that Svend wins.

The first by-election will probably be in Quebec when Paul Martin resigns his seat after becoming leader of the Opposition. It will be interesting to see which party takes that seat.

No comments: