I went swimming last night for the first time in a long time. I wasn't sure if I'd still be able to swim in my condition. The pool is modified for people to get in and out on a ramp, with wheelchairs that can go underwater. The deepest it gets is below my shoulders, perhaps a little under five feet. The weightlessness of the water meant I was also able to walk through it. It's been a long time since I've been able to walk normally, and it felt great to be able to walk around without holding on to anything for support. I'm going swimming in my pool at home when I'm out of GFS on the weekends. I've never used it before and I don't remember if there are stairs or a ladder to get in, but as long as someone who can swim and can get me out of the pool is there with me, there shouldn't be any problems.
My stay at GFS has been extended to the first week of September. This is good, because it means I get much more physiotherapy time than as an outpatient, but it also delays my return to work and a normal paycheque.
I've been pressing my doctor for a prognosis on how long it will take to recover and how well I'll recover, but he won't commit to anything. The best I got from him today is that the nerve regrowth will take up to two years for some longer nerves that extend down my legs, and at that point, whatever condition I'm in is probably where I'll be at for the rest of my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Good luck Dan!
Walking through water is great resistance training!
Time for an update, Dan! How are you doing?
Post a Comment